What is CUDA?
CUDA is NVidia's "Compute Unified Device Architecture" and is particularly useful to the forensic community for brute force password cracking. NVidia CUDA technology leverages the massive parallel processing power of NVidia GPUs. The CUDA architecture is a revolutionary parallel computing architecture that delivers the performance of NVidia's world-renowned graphics processor technology to general purpose GPU Computing. Applications that run on the CUDA architecture can take advantage of an installed base of over one hundred million CUDA-enabled GPUs in desktop and notebook computers, professional workstations, and supercomputer clusters.
With the CUDA architecture and tools, developers are achieving dramatic speedups in fields such as medical imaging and natural resource exploration, and creating breakthrough applications in areas such as image recognition and real-time HD video playback and encoding. CUDA enables this unprecedented performance via standard APIs such as the soon to be released OpenCL and DirectX Compute, and high level programming languages such as C/C++, Fortran, Java, Python, and the Microsoft .NET Framework.
What Forensic Application?
Not all Forensic applications will benefit from this massive amount of computational power. By employing Elcomsoft's Distributed Password Recovery (EDPR) or Passware Kit Forensic, the CUDA platform can be utilized to dramatically accelerate brute force password recovery.
Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery
Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery employs a revolutionary, patent pending technology to accelerate password recovery when a compatible NVidia graphics card is present in addition to the CPU-only mode. The acceleration technology offloads parts of computational-heavy processing onto the fast and highly scalable processors featured in the NVidia's latest graphic accelerators. Additionally, EDPR also operates in a distributed environment where multiple workstations can work together to distribute the workload of a single task.
Features and Benefits
- Hardware acceleration (patent pending) reduces password recovery time by a factor of 50.
- Support for NVIDIA CUDA cards, AMD Radeon HD and Tableau TACC1441 hardware accelerators.
- Linear scalability with no overhead allows using up to 10,000 workstations without performance drop-off.
- Allows up to 64 CPUs or CPU cores and up to 32 GPUs per processing node.
- Broad compatibility recovers document and system passwords to various file formats (click for the complete list of formats).
- Brute-force and dictionary attacks.
- Distributed password recovery over LAN, Internet or both.
- Console management for flexible control from any networked PC.
- Plug-in architecture allows for additional file formats.
- Schedule support for flexible load balancing.
- Minimum bandwidth utilization saves network resources and ensures zero scalability overhead.
- All network communications between password recovery clients and the server are securely encrypted.
- Flexible queue control allows easy job management.
- Storing all passwords that have been discovered, forming a separate/internal dictionary (password cache).
- Install and remove password recovery clients remotely.
- Launch agents and server as system services.
- Keep track of CPU time and resource utilization, password recovery jobs and user activities.
- Industry certified: Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, Intel Software Partner, NVIDIA Developer Support.
Elcomsoft continues to work to provide additional GPU Acceleration for many of the file formats which are not already capable. Digital Intelligence has been working with Elcomsoft to identify customer requirements and further this endeavor. Elcomsoft's EDPR software is available for purchase. EDPR can be run in a distributed environment of up to 20 workstations (with, or without, CUDA capabilities).
Passware Kit Forensic
This complete electronic evidence discovery solution reports all password-protected items on a computer and gains access to these items using the fastest decryption and password recovery algorithms. Many types of passwords are recovered or reset instantly, and advanced acceleration methods are used to recover difficult passwords. Passware Kit Forensic introduces a new attacks editor, which sets up the password recovery process in the most precise way to provide the quickest decryption solution possible. The highest performance is achieved with Distributed Password Recovery, using the computing power of multiple computers.
Passware Kit Forensic includes a Portable version that runs from a USB drive and finds encrypted files, recovers files and websites passwords without modifying files or settings on the host computer. Perform a complete encrypted evidence discovery process without installing Passware Kit on a target PC.
Passware Kit Forensic, complete with Passware FireWire Memory Imager, is the first commercial software that decrypts BitLocker and TrueCrypt hard disks of the seized computers without applying a time-consuming brute-force attack.
- Recovers passwords for 200+ file types and decrypts hard disks providing an all-in-one user interface.
- Scans computers and network for password-protected files (Encryption Analyzer Professional included).
- Acquires memory images of the seized computers ( FireWire Memory Imager included)!
- Retrieves electronic evidence in a matter of minutes from a Windows Desktop Search Database (Search Index Examiner included).
- Supports Distributed Password Recovery!
- Runs from a USB thumb drive and recovers passwords without installation on a target PC (Portable Version included).
- Includes 1-year Subscription to updates.
- Instantly recovers many password types.
- Instantly decrypts MS Word and Excel files up to version 2003 (20 Credits for Decryptum attack included).
- Resets passwords for Local and Domain Windows Administrators instantly.
- Recovers encryption keys for hard disks protected with BitLocker in minutes, including BitLocker ToGo!
- Decrypts TrueCrypt volumes in minutes!
- Provides 8 different password recovery attacks (and any combination of them) with an easy-to-use setup wizard and drag & drop attacks editor.
- Uses multiple-core CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs efficiently to speed up the password recovery process by 3,500%.
- Provides detailed reports with MD5 hash values.
GPU PowerStation Password Performance
Listed below are password speeds for both Elcomsoft Distributed Password Recovery (EDPR) and Passware Kit Forensic when attached to our current FRED i7 X99 based Forensic Workstation.
1 - 8 Characters
All Character Sets
4x GTX 1080s
5x GTX 1080s
Baseline GPU PowerStation Specifications
Host Computer Requirements
The GPU PowerStation is a standalone expansion chassis that connects to a host computer. The host computer requires one PCIe 3.0 x16 slot with sufficient PCIe resources for multiple GPUs. The minimum power source is a dedicated 120V/15A circuit.
Please note that FRED is the recommended host computer for the GPU PowerStation
Please Contact Sales for Details on Special Pricing for a FRED + GPU PowerStation Bundle
The GPU PowerStation is not compatible with FRED DX, FRED Sr or uFRED
GPU PowerStation Specifications
- Weight: 80 lbs
- Qty 4 x Nvidia GTX 1080 Graphics Cards
- 2560 CUDA Cores each
- 8192MB GDDR5 Memory
- Base Clock 1607 MHz
- Boost Clock 1733 MHz
Qty 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 host adapter - full height bracket
Qty 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 target board for upstream port
Qty 2 x PCIe 3.0 x8 cable 1.5 meter
Mini Tower Case 18" x 7" x 15”
ATX 1500 Watt power supply
4 x PCIe 3.0 x8 slots (x16 connector)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x4 slots (x4 connector)
Supports full length, full height PCI Express Cards
2 x 120mm cooling fans
Power On: Blue
Fan: Green = Normal,
Temp: Green = Normal,
Red/Audible Alarm = Over 55°C
Warranty 1 year
Host Computer Requirement
One PCIe 3.0 x16 slot with sufficient PCIe resources for multiple GPUs. The host adapter card will not function in a PCIe 2.0 or 1.0 slot.